Call Us: +1-800-756-2003

General FAQ

General FAQs about the Delta

What will Delta do for me and my teaching career?

Delta will give you an enhanced understanding of learning and teaching and will therefore improve your job satisfaction as well as your learners’ progress.  Delta is an advanced teaching diploma and as such qualifies you for senior jobs in the industry like senior teacher, department coordinator, academic manager, assistant director of studies and director of studies.  It is also the foundation to becoming qualified as a CELTA trainer.  Delta opens doors in a variety of related fields like ELT publishing, materials development and exams.

How is the Delta different from the CELTA?

The CELTA is a practical teacher education program designed for teachers with little or no formal in-class training. Candidates on the CELTA may or may not have had previous teaching experience.   The Delta is an advanced teaching qualification which qualifies you, not only to teach, but also to gain higher level jobs as well as explore areas like curriculum design, materials development, publishing etc. It still has a strong practical component (which makes it preferable over an MA TESOL for some language teaching institutions) but the course covers theories of teaching and learning in much more depth than the CELTA.  Delta is a post-graduate level qualification, equivalent to a Masters.

Can I take the Delta if I haven’t completed the CELTA?

The Delta builds on the practical foundation that is provided on the CELTA course. Without the CELTA (and some teaching experience), candidates wouldn’t have the background knowledge, understanding of teaching techniques or evaluative tools to start the course. In addition, some schools require teachers to have both the CELTA and Delta. Without the CELTA, schools may question whether a teacher has basic teaching techniques.

We do, on a case by case basis, assess individual qualifications and experience to determine whether they are CELTA equivalent.

Must I have taken my CELTA at Teaching House?

No. A CELTA from any accredited Cambridge English Language Assessments center is suitable.

Is the DELTA only for teaching General English to Adults? 

No. The course used to be specifically for Teaching General English to Adults, but can now incorporate teaching English to groups with different needs, including Younger Learners, Business English and Academic English. Note that the Teaching Practice on the course during Module Two is based around Teaching General English to Adults (16 years old and above).

What does the TH Blended Delta cover?

The Teaching House Blended Delta covers six main components:

  1.  The English language and its description.
  2.  The practice and principles of teaching and learning English in relation to a wide range of learners and their learning contexts.
  3.  The nature, role and use of resources and materials.
  4.  The process of teaching/learning and how it can be managed.
  5.  Procedures for the formal and informal assessment of students, the evaluation of courses and programmes of work, and the investigation of personal effectiveness as a teacher in the classroom.
  6.  Opportunities to further your professional development as a teacher, coordinator of other teachers or programme administrator, and to improve your skills as a teacher by helping you to apply your understanding of the above areas to a wide range of teaching and learning contexts.

Will having completed the Delta have any credit transfer to an MA course?

You need to check with your institution – as the Delta is becoming more popular in the USA, more universities are awarding credit for Delta. Many universities that run MA (or M.Ed.) courses in TESOL or Applied Linguistics accept the Delta as equivalent to between a quarter and a third of the total course modules. Contact us for more information regarding college credit for Delta at our email

If I don’t complete any module that I have started, can I get a refund?

Unfortunately, because the number of places on each course is limited and trainers on a course need to be paid, Teaching House cannot provide a refund under any circumstances.

Can I defer my course to a later completion date?

If you fall behind with Modules 1 or 3, you may defer once to the next course completion date (first Wednesday of June or December) as long as you let us know at least six weeks before your initial course completion date.  There is an additional fee for this service.  If you do not complete the course by the deferral date, you can retake the course but you will need to pay the full course fee again.

There are no deferrals for Delta Module 2.

How long does it take to get the Delta with Teaching House?

It typically takes one academic year to complete all three modules. You can work full time for all of this time, except for the five weeks of the face-to-face component of Module 2 if taking it in New York.  If you are not working, you can complete the Delta in as little as 2-3 months.

What grades are available for the Delta?

Each Module is given a separate grade and a separate certificate.  The grades available for each module are:

Delta Module 1: •    Pass •    Pass with merit •    Pass with distinction •     Fail.

Delta Module 2: •    Pass •    Pass with merit •    Pass with distinction •     Referred/Fail

Delta Module 3: •    Pass •    Pass with merit •    Pass with distinction •     Referred/Fail

For each module that you pass, you will get a certificate from Cambridge.   Once you pass all three modules you can get a combined Delta certificate with details of each module grade in one.

If you are referred for Module 2 or 3, you can be assessed again once within twelve months of the initial submission date without doing the full course again. There is an additional fee for this. If you are not successful the second time, you would be awarded a fail grade.

How is the Teaching House Blended Delta different from a distance Delta program?

The Blended Delta gives you the best of both worlds – the flexibility and convenience of online learning and the motivation and real-time professional development of a face-to-face course.  It also gives you access to the expertise of top quality teacher educators.

Is the Delta equivalent to an MA TESOL?

The Delta is a practicum based course that does fulfill many of the same objectives as a Master’s in TESOL. As stated on the Cambridge English website:
Delta is currently accredited in the UK by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) at Level 7 on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and is a 60-credit qualification.Level 7 equates to Master’s level in terms of content.

For further information:

If you still have unanswered questions, then feel free to contact us directly at our email address – we are happy to answer any questions that you have.

Alternatively, you can check out the FAQs section at the University of Cambridge site and the Cambridge Delta syllabus and assessment page.